Building a website is not as easy as 1-2-3. First thing you have to consider is your web design, next comes the more technical stuff that you would have to learn. Web design is the arrangement of web pages that make up a website. Starting a web design is a process that involves conceptualization, modeling, and execution. It is through this process that you can easily create a web design. To conceptualize means creating a flowchart– a flowchart shows how you would like your website to flow. It shows primary headings and subsections of each heading. This will aid you in steps 2 and 3. The modeling stage lets you create a layout for the website. It will show a skeleton view of each of the web pages. It will help you plan where your elements will be placed; elements being audio, video, graphics, sounds, etc. Last step is execution, wherein you will implement your planned web design. All throughout the process, you should keep in mind that the web design must be well organized and user-friendly.
The four basic things to consider in designing a website are:
• Content – it must be relevant and should be in line with its main purpose. Add to this, it must also be able to convey the right message to the target audience.
• Usability – it has been mentioned that a website must be user-friendly so visitors won’t find it hard to navigate through the website.
• Appearance – the website must have the right amount of elements. Do not exaggerate it. Make sure that design looks professional and appealing at the same time. Also, too much video, audio, and images in a website takes longer to load than usual and this can definitely annoy visitors.
• Visibility – it is crucial that the website is easily tracked by search engines to increase traffic and some advertisements.
Common errors done in web design would include:
• Failure to have a target audience and purpose. This happens when there is too much content in the website that the purpose gets lost in all the non-important elements.
• Navigation errors. This would include broken links that easily annoy visitors when they are directed to an error page. Another would be having too many hyperlinks to get to the target page. It is a poor web design when the user has to click on a lot of links.
o A web design is poor when color schemes are not friendly to the eyes; like neon-colored combinations.
o Fonts. Make use of fonts that are commonly installed in other people’s browsers. Also, choose fonts that are easy to read.
o Theme. Be consistent with the theme used all throughout the webpage.
o Too many advertisements. They tend to mess up the web page and appear disorderly. It takes the user’s attention from the main website.
o Spelling errors make the website appear unprofessional
• Because of too much elements in the web design, the website takes forever too load.
• Browser Incompatibility. It is not the user’s fault if he is not using Internet Explorer or Firefox. So make sure the web design can be viewed by any web browser.
The key idea in web design is to create it suited to the target audience with the ability to convey the purpose clearly. If this is fulfilled then you have created an effective website that can attract traffic.
Article Source: http://articleaddict.com